Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Lucas can bite hard!

Lucas might look cute in his diaper, but it's quite a challenge to get him in one. First, there is the growling, hissing, and biting. He is quite a fiesty fellow. I have to move fast to avoid bleeding but unfortunately I don't work well with my hands. The other problem is the big mess. He always needs to be cleaned with babywipes but that stimulates urination which can go on for five minutes. So cleaning really makes more of a mess until I can get his bladder empty. I also have to stimulate his bowels so then I have to deal with stinky poop. Finally when I get him emptied, I can attempt to put on the diaper. I go through baby wipes and puppy pads like crazy. In fact, I just ran out of puppy pads and desperately need to find an affordable online provider. I've mentioned this before but the island of Molokai is quite remote and many items are not available or extremely expensive.

The other worry is infection and urine scald. That urine is potent stuff especially on a kittens delicate skin. I learned that you can use a liquid bandage spray to create a barrier between Lucas' skin and urine. My vet suggested using Desitin instead, especially because Lucas does not lick his private area so we don't have to worry about him ingesting anything toxic. I think he does not lick that area because he has no feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your little prince is very fortunate to have you and your tlc. Enjoying reading about him and his progress. Keep an eye on the Desitin. Many years ago, a niece ended up with severe diaper rash which was actually caused by the Desitin. Wonder is cornstarch would help any?