Thursday, May 04, 2006

Prince Diaper's foster siblings!

Prince Diaper is not my first rescue. I want to tell you a little bit about the other animals that have changed my life. Click here and here for my other websites.

Nanaimo is my very first cat. I adopted him from a shelter in California in 2003 when he was 8 weeks old. He's pretty sassy and a bit of a passive aggressive loner. He only likes to cuddle when I am sitting on the toilet. It's funny. He is named for my favorite dessert - Nanaimo Bars - found in Canada. (I'm Canadian.)Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Nique was adopted from the same shelter but he was sent straight to the vets to get neutered. Nique is short for unique because he has a black spot on his head and heel.Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Kikeli was a friendly stray that lived around my house here on Molokai. I swore I would not adopt him but he is orange...and sweet...and cuddly....how could I resist?Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Grey was also a friendly stray that lived around my house but she wasn't keen on the other cats so I found her a great home on Oahu.Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Vayna is a tortie kitten that I found eating from Grey's food dish one day. She was tiny and skinny. I started meeting her with canned food every morning and evening and she would be waiting for me. I adopted her permanently but she is still a tad wild. However she is the baby of the family and always goes to the other cats for snuggles. What a mystery this cat is...the vet found lots of little scars but no spay scar, however he found no uterus! We'll never know what happened to her. She did disappear for a couple months after I first spotted her though.Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Stracey was laying on my porch when I came back from vacation in California last summer. She was pregnant. I made the difficult decision to spay her before the kittens were born. She was so cuddly but VERY difficult with the other cats and my dog. She went to a nice home in Honolulu.Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I went to the movies one night and my friend pointed out two screaming and half starved kittens that were outside. It was SO bad I could not leave them. They went home with me. I had them for about four months and named them Kuhio and Kalani. Kuhio ended up having a severe heart murmur. I paid for a heart ultrasound by winning a photo contest on animalattraction.com. I had a lot of people voting for me to help! We flew to Oahu for the day and the vet was amazing. Giving those two up was the hardest thing but they went together to a wonderful family willing to deal with Kuhio's heart condition and possibly short life expectancy.Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Then came Screech, who is now Bettis. He was found on the side of the road by a tourist. A lady took him in but was not healthy enough to care for him so her friend stopped by once a day. Screech was in a cage with the worst case of ringworm I have ever seen. One day I drove over and when no one answered the door, I took him and left a note in the cage explaining. He was in such bad shape and needed to be in a home with lots of attention.Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After Screech went to his awesome family on Oahu, I got an email about a dumped cat. I drove to the east end to pick him up, and because he is the tallest and biggest cat I have ever seen - I named him Samson. He has rejected the indoor life but I live in the country and it's pretty safe out there. I hope to find him a good home soon.Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now the dogs.

Kiko has been with me for almost two years. I found him in a neighbourhood one day. he was the runt and in HORRIBLE shape. I picked him up and saw literally 50 fleas crawling on his stomach, and he was just one pound! The litter was so big he had no chance so I put him in my purse and took him home. I have learned a lot and love him deeply. I made the difficult decision a couple months ago to rehome him because of some serious food aggression issues that made it impossible for him to be trusted around the cats, especially alone. Not wanting this social and energetic herding dog to be crated all day, I found a wonderful family for him on Oahu. He will have a doggy friend, one thing he sorely missed after Moxie was rehomed. And he will have two kids to play with, kids are his favorite. And for the first time he will have a yard. So I am terribly sad to see him go but know it's best for all of us.Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Moxie was a tough one too. I loved her so much. She showed up at my house one morning in her first heat. She was so gentle and loving and obedient. I wanted to keep her so badly. But God found her the BEST home in Hilo and she gets a human that stays home all day. She has a cat friend and three doggy friends. I cried hard when I put her on the plane but it was a rewarding rescue. She and Kiko were the best of friends and Kiko missed her so much.Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This has all happened in less than two years! These animals have kept me very busy which I appreciate because I am in the boondocks and there isn't much else to do here. Each of them has touched my heart.

8 comments:

Maggie, Molly & Lucy Too said...

It's wonderful to find someone who has fostered so many pets. I hope that prince diaper is healthy soon. I will try and stop back by to check on him.

jenianddean said...

We are so happy that we followed Scooby, Shaggy and Scout's link to your blog. (http://littlecf.blogspot.com/) Lucas is such a sweetheart, our Mom just melted at his story. Sometimes the special kittens touch your heart in such a unique way that the extra effort is worth it.

My Mom and Dad are chiropractors and said some vets and chiropractors adjust animals. Without knowing the full extent of Lucas' paralysis, Dad just wanted to throw this option out before the amputation. Can't hurt to try...

Keep up the great posts and pictures. We look forward to reading more about Prince Diaper.
--Jasper
http://jaspermckittencat.blogspot.com

Petey said...

The world is a better place when someone takes the time to help a special needs animal. Thank you for being there for them. When you love someone like us (I have megacolon and had an episode-urgh-last night, I'm feeling much better today) you get so much in return.

Petey said...

Thank you for being there for the animals that need someone. I takes a special person to care for a special needs pet. You are special.
I'm sending you my extra headbutts and squeeky purrs.

Carolina Cats said...

Hi we followed Jasper's link to find you! I'll read up more when I get home, the pix don't show at work. Then I went to the Feline Diabetes board and found this report on cat pants. Thought it might be helpful to you.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/read.php?7,328764,328764#msg-328764

Good luck with the little man!

Nora, Finnegan & Buddy's mom

Zeus said...

I also followed Scooby, Shaggy, and Scout's link to your weblog, and I have to say you do fantastic work for these creatures. You may never get verbally thanked for what it is you are doing, but my human pet, myself, and even Isis want to tell you, "Thank you!"

I'm very interesting in learning more about your Prince. He sounds like he is a lot of fun, and hopefully, he provides some stories about his adventures!

PrincessMia said...

Aww, what a brave heart you have to look after all those beautiful poodins and woofies. You do good works. ::purrpurrpurr::

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

It is so heart warming to hear someone take such care with animals that so many other people would just throw away. Lucas is so lucky to have you as his caregiver and guardian.

Abby is a Manx, and she has some elimination problems, so I can relate, but only in a very small way to what you and Lucas deal with.

Good luck to Lucas.
Drop by and pay us a vist at:
www.manxmnews.blogspot.com

*ABBY(the little Manx)