Saturday, May 06, 2006

What a disaster...but with a ray of hope

Tonight was terrible. I ran out of puppy pads a couple days ago which is making my life a lot more difficult. Then today, I ran out of newspaper! So I decided to change his smelly diaper in the bathroom, easy clean up right? Not!

Ugh I left him for a second to get a trash bag and when I got back there was pee EVERYWHERE! On the counter, on the floor everywhere, and of course he stepped in it and was shaking his feet and spraying pee pee everywhere! It went from bad to worse. Pee on my feet, pee on my pajamas, pee everywhere! I actually just got to the point where I had no idea what to do, I was just crouching there with him between my knees, holding a clean diaper he sprayed with...yep...PP!

Then I put him in the tub, he peed twice, STEPPED in it, dragged in tail in it, I just could NOT get on top of things! Finally I got him diapered, ignored his growls and wiped his feet off, and let him go so I could clean up.

The ray of hope is this....and I might be grasping at straws here but honestly I've never thought that he would regain control of his bowels or bladder....so he got up on a cat carrier I had in the bathroom. It has a top door. You know how when cats go to the bathroom they sort of shuffle their feet a bit and kind of get things close together? Well he did that! And I thought to myself, wow it sort of looks like he's going to the bathroom. And then I even saw the bottom of his back flexing, like he was pooping. And I said, whatever Alisha, he's just sitting there. So he hops to the toilet, to the counter, and I watch him pee and he obviously has no idea. So I sigh and get a babywipe to clean it up. BUT when I look back. there was poop where he had been squeezing on the carrier! Most of it had fallen down because of the top door. but he definitely had been pooping. Did he realize it or even control it? Or was that his body taking over? I do not know. I really do not know. But I do feel that he has sensation in his genitals now because of the amount of growling he does when I wipe him. I wish I knew for sure though.

4 comments:

Zeus said...

That sounds incredibly difficult and frustrating. I think, though, that if you saw those behavioral signs while he was on the carrier, then consider them positives. He very well might be making progress!

The bathroom situation was incredible. Our human pet was thinking of anything that remotely resembled that, and the closest she came was when she tried to give me a bath at nine months. However, I was just spraying water when I shook, and not pee, so she doesn't think this is a particularly good match.

Anonymous said...

You must be pretty special to help so many little ones who need the most help. Wishing you all good things....

Shaggy and Scout said...

Wow! I feel for you! What a little machine he is.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Oh my...you are a really a wonderful compassionate lady to be so patient with Lucas. I stand in awe.