Tuesday, May 02, 2006

To the vet we go!

Luckily, I had a flight booked to Maui so that I could find a rental since I am moving there in June. I was able to book Lucas at a veterinary office in Kahului. I was going to put him in cargo because of the diarrhea but I decided to fast him the night before so that he could go in the cabin with me in a delta sherpa. Getting through security was a bit scary because I was worried diarrhea would be flying! We made it though. Here is a picture of us in the Kahului Airport!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I was actually very worried that I would have to euthanize Lucas, which would have been so very sad. The appointment was for 9am and we landed at 7am. I took the shuttle to Alamo and rented a car. Off to Walmart we went, since my island is very remote and is lacking in many items. I put the Sherpa with Lucas in the cart and started shopping but my stomach felt queasy because I was worried about the vet results. I bought a bag of treats and a can of fancy feast that would serve as a last meal in case Lucas would be euthanized.

The vet pretty much told me what I expected. She confirmed Lucas was male. He had some neurological damage, possibly a pulled or broken tail. He came up FIV/FELV negative and his fecal was negative too, but he was given some dewormer. The vet and I decided to give him some more time to regain control of his bowels. She prescribed some antibiotics and anti-inflammatory for the urine scalding on his privates. The office kept him for the day so I could do some shopping and check out rentals. Then I picked him up and we went back to the airport to fly home to Molokai.

1 comment:

Qaafhsa said...

Well i can say that this is really good when it comes into sharing life.

Hope you will find me at qaafhsa@gmail.com